Thursday, January 13, 2011

Getting On The Road Again

This year we are starting out a bit earlier with our travels. In a few days we'll be heading to the Texarkana KOA in Texarkana, Texas. We sure hope it doesn't get too dicey weather-wise... last week they got 6" of snow!

I'm a big chicken when it comes to driving in the white stuff. And it's not so much I doubt my abilities (although it's been so long since I drove on that stuff I am definitely aftraid of it), it's the other drivers I am concerned with. In Texas we have enough trouble with rain-slick streets. Adding snow to the mix is really problematic!

Bob's brother from Las Vegas and his wife arrived here on Monday, the day after the snowfall in Dallas. North Texas weather is literally a "crap-shoot" this time of year. Fortunately, their plane was not delayed or cancelled. One day earlier hundreds of DFW flights were cancelled and that would have been a disaster for the start of their visit.

I must say, our new-to-us 2004 Travel Supreme Select diesel pusher we picked up in Florida in October is very nice in cold weather. If you're fixing to get an RV, I'd strongly suggest getting a coach with thermal pane windows. We have not had wet windows once this winter, except for the windshield. Jesse, our black & white Chihuahua, loves the Hydro-Hot heating system. We now call him a "hot dog." He puts his little hiney right up against the furnace grate and literally becomes a hot dog.

As I said earlier, we're starting out our working year early this year by going to Texarkana. It's always exciting to see what new places are like. My parents, RVing snowbirds who flock to Yuma, Arizone from Illinois every winter, have stopped by the Oaklawn Opry many times on their way through Texarkana. They loved it. So I'm going to stop by and see if I can help them get more visitors and also enjoy a good show while we are in town.

This job will be both fun and a challenge since I'll be in both Texas and Arkansas seeking advertisers.

I just hope the big guy upstairs does not think it would be a hoot to see me slippin & slidin all over the place. Wish me luck :-)

Happy Trails...

Vicky & Bob Heron (Capt. Jack & Jesse James)
How to work & live wherever and whenever you choose!

No comments: