Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sanitation Rant #2

A while back, I don't remember when, I wrote a post or two on campground etiquette and how to stay healthy through proper sanitation procedures.

Now I don't want to get on a soapbox and I don't want this to be a lecture on proper RVing, but I have to get a few things off my chest!

When we go to Moab and Las Vegas, and even in Holbrook, Arizona, we see a LOT of RV rentals. Many are foreigners who are traveling the National Park circuit or just wanting to see the beauty of the United States.

Not all of these renters are foreigners though. And they all need about an hour course in:
  1. RV Safety (and health safety)
  2. Proper sanitation and waste handling procedures
  3. Good ole RV etiquette!
I won't repeat the horror stories I've written about previously. Just scroll down and you'll find them. But, one of the biggest things I would like to see is good old respect. I've seen Bob Livingston write about this also. Do NOT walk through other people's campsites. Stay on the road. And please don't think I'd love to have your pooch leave me a gift on my postage stamp of a yard. When my dogs do something I have bags with me and I DO use them to pick up poop. P-l-e-a-s-e!

When we were at the Las Vegas KOA at Circus Circus last week, we had an upgraded site with a corner lot, grass, and a patio set. Jack & Jesse loved the grass! On our last morning, a renter couple decided they liked our upgraded site and brought over their coffee, cigarettes, and road map. They proceeded to plop down and make themselves at home, planning their next leg of their trip. We were parked right next to it and yes they did know we were home.

Excuse me, but this is our upgraded site. It does cost more money. If they wanted the patio site, all they had to do was to pay the upgrade charge and get one. I guess I was raised in a different era. My parents pounded it into me that we did not do things like that. Ever!

I saw something today that I had to marvel at (and I've seen this a lot with the renters which is why I think they need a course).

Picture this... the guy puts on his rubber gloves (not disposable, but hey, better than nothing) and proceeds to empty his sewer hose. Okay so far. Then he puts that hose on the ground with water dribbling out of it. Come on fella, someone will pull into that sight after you and step in that & not know it and track it in his rig. See where I'm going here???

Okay, so now he turns off his fresh, drinking water hose and unhooks it. He's still wearing the same gloves he just handled his sewage hose with. GROSS!!!

Next he puts the water hose away (at least he did not rinse his sewer hose with it... I've seen that more times than I want to say) and he's still wearing the nasty gloves and touching everything in sight.

Finally he takes the gloves off. He does this just in time to roll up the sewer hose and put it away... bare-handed. Then he wipes his hands on his jeans, grabs the door to enter his RV, puts his hands on the steering wheel and starts the engine.

That's why I get Bob disposable gloves. He handles the fresh water first--ALWAYS! And he always, always sprays Lysol on the water handle and all around the opening. You just never know what the person before you did.

In Utah, they are now cracking down on these sanitation issues. Backflow preventers have been installed. The police come through parks and if they see leaking or unsealed sewer hoses (ones not secured with a donut ring or screwed down into the outlet) they will issue tickets. And it is now against the law to use the fresh water faucet to rinse your sewer hose. Hallelujah!!!

So, in my opinion and in the interest of health safety, a quick, simple, yet thorough one-hour course would be a very good idea for RV rental customers.

Okay, I'll try not to get on this subject again... at least not for a long time anyway :-)

Till next time (and I will write more about the La Sals),

Happy Trails!

Vicky & Bob Heron (Capt. Jack & Jesse James)
How to work & live wherever and whenever you choose!

No comments: