Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Go with your gut!

Bob and I recently joined the Escapees (http://www.escapees.com/) organization. Now that the house is on the market and life is a bit slower finally, I've had a chance to begin reading the SKP forums and I've discovered a big item we should have done differently.

Simply put, we should have sold our house well before my husband's targeted retirement date. I'm not sure I could have gotten Bob to do it 2-3 years ago, but we regret we did not do it last spring. The market has changed so much since then. I'm afraid we've missed our prime window of opportunity.

Last spring I was ready to get going on this. Get the house sold and move into the RV. Bob could work on his current job until he was ready to retire. He just was not ready. Try as I might, I could not convince him to reconsider.

On the forum today I noticed many people have become full-timers several years before officially retiring. I wish we'd have joined SKPs earlier and read this useful information. Even though I know our house will sell soon, we could have made $10k to $15k more if we'd have acted sooner.

All last spring my gut kept telling me "this is the time to do it -- sell the house and begin full-timing." I know if Bob could have read the inspiring stories posted by other members, he would have felt more confortable with the pre-retirement change. I should have paid more attention to that little voice screaming at me to do it now! I should have followed my gut feelings.

If you are considering going full-time, I suggest you join the Escapees organization and devour the message forums. Lots of great advice and experience in those posts. As I said before, you can never have too much information at your fingertips. Escapee members appear to be very friendly and genuinely want to help each other. We're impressed!

Enjoy life, work, and traveling,

Vicky & Bob Heron (& Capt. Jack)

How to work & live wherever and whenever you choose!

No comments: